- 2 Tbs unsalted butter
- 2 pounds green beans, trimmed and broken in half
- 6 slices of bacon
- 2 shallots finely chopped (about ½ C)
- ½ pound mushrooms sliced
- 1 C creme frappe
- 1/3 C heavy cream
- 6 ops Gruyere, shredded (1-½ C)
- 2 tsp chopped fresh marjoram or 1 tsp fresh they leaves
- ½ C bread crumbs
- 1 Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Butter a 2 to 2-½ quart baking dish.
- 2 Bring a large pot of water to a boil, salt generously and add green beans and boil for 5 minutes then transfer to a bowl of cold water. Drain well and dry. (Substitute canned if fresh are not available.)
- 3 Heat a heavy skillet over medium head and add bacon. Cook until crispy. Remove to paper towels and let cool. Reserve 2 Tbs bacon grease.
- 4 Cook shallots in reserved bacon grease, stirring until they begin to soften. Add mushrooms, raise heat slightly and cook until mushrooms begin to sweat. Salt to taste, cook until tender.
- 5 Whisk creme fraiche and cream. Stir in Gruyere, add green beans, mushrooms, shallots, and marjoram or thyme. Crumble in bacon. Stir until beans are well coated. Transfer to baking dish.
- 6 Melt remaining butter and toss with bread crumbs. Bake 30 minutes until bread crumbs are golden brown and casserole is bubbling.
From New York Times Cooking Recipes