- ¼ C granulated sugar
- ¼ C water
- 2 large sprigs fresh rosemary plus 1 tsp finely chopped
- ½ C packed brown sugar
- ¼ C all-purpose flour
- ¼ tsp salt
- 6 C cored, peeled and sliced Granny Smith apples
- 1 Tbs lemon juice
- 3 Tbs whipping cream
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ¼ C butter
- 1 Rosemary Pastry
- 1 egg white beaten
- 2 tsp granulated sugar
- 3 C all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- ½ tsp finely snipped fresh rosemary leaves
- 1 C shortening, chilled
- 1/3 C ice water
- 1 egg yolk beaten
- 1 Tbs vinegar
Prepare Filling and Bake
- 1 Combine ¼ C granulated sugar, water and 2 sprigs rosemary. Microwave on high for 2 minutes. Let stand 30 minutes, remove sprigs.
- 2 In a small bowl combine brown sugar flour, salt and 1 tsp finely snipped rosemary, set aside. In a large bowl toss apples with lemon juice. Add brown sugar mixture, toss to coat. Add whipping cream, vanilla, and rosemary syrup.
- 3 In a large skillet melt butter, add apple mixture. Cook over medium heat for 8 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and set aside.
- 4 Roll out prepared pastry bottom crust and place in pie pan. Spook in apple mixture. Add top curst, brush with egg white and sprinkle with sugar. Cover edge with foil to prevent over browning. Bake 35 minutes then remove foil. Bake an additional 20 to 25 minutes. Cool on a wire rack and serve warm.
- 1 In a food processor combine flour, salt, sugar and fresh rosemary leaves.
- 2 Add shortening. Pulse until mixture resembles cornmeal. In a small bowl combine ice water, egg yolk, and vinegar. Add liquid mixture, one Tbs at a time and pulse until soft dough forms. Divide in half, form into balls, wrap in plastic wrap and chill for 30 minutes.
From Better Homes and Gardens Recipes
For the top crust, I like to cut leaves from the rolled-out pastry with a small cookie cutter. I form the top crust placing the leaves in a concentric circular pattern.